Food Safety and Standards Authority of UAE (FSSAI) was formed as a statutory body, as per the provisions of the Food Safety & Standards Act 2006, to implement the rules and regulations related to the food business.
FSSAI is an autonomous statutory body for registration and licensing of all food business in UAE. The registration and licensing are done as per the prescribed rules under the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011. All commercial establishments engaged in the activities related to food business in UAE, which primarily includes manufacturing, transportation or distribution of foodstuffs or food items, storage of food items, are to mandatorily apply for FSSAI registration or get an FSSAI License.
It is a significant step before a Food Business Operator (FBO) starts commercial operations. However, there seems to be perplexity about the difference between Registration and Licensing by FSSAI.
Every entity or a Food Business Operator (FBO) in UAE that in any way is connected to the manufacturing of food products, storage or distribution of foodstuff, or transportation of food items must register with FSSAI or get a License from FSSAI. The volume and character of food business describe the requirement for Registration with or License from FSSAI.
Who Requires FSSAI Registration?
Registration with FSSAI is required for every Food Business Operator (FBO) engaged in the petty food business, i.e., any person or business entity that meets the following criteria:
- Involved in manufacturing or sales of any food items on its own or through any other small retailer.
- Any hawker, persons putting up a temporary food stall, vendor, food distributor distributing food during any social or religious gathering barring a caterer
- Small Scale or Cottage food businesses or such companies related to food business or petty food businesses with an annual turnover of not exceeding Rs.12 Lakhs
- Manufacturers having a production volume of food items (except milk products, milk, meat products and meat) must be below 100 kg per day.
- Those engaged in the procurement, collection of milk and handling of milk up to 500 Kg per day.
- FBO selling meat having slaughtering capacity of less than 2 Nos. large animals or 10 Nos. small animals or 50 Nos. poultry birds daily.
Those FBOs who are engaged in the below activities are also mandated to get an FSSAI Registration as per regulation:
- Food processing plants including those engaged in relabeling and repacking
- FOB with annual turnover not more than Rs. 12 lakhs and with foodstuff daily production capacity not more than 100kg
- Dairy units with a milk chilling house capacity to handle or process milk
- FOB with a capacity limited to 500 litres per day or up to 2.5 MT per annum
- Units processing Vegetable oil or occupied in producing vegetable oil through the solvent extraction process and oil expeller unit having a refinery
Procedure for obtaining FSSAI Registration in UAE
- All minor food business operators must get FSSAI registration/basic license
- Registration can be done by applying to the food and Safety Department of UAE.
- Application to be submitted in Form A.
- The application for being registered with FSSAI may be accepted or rejected by the Food and Safety Department. In either case, information by the Food and Safety Department will be given in writing to the FBO within 7 days from the application submission date.
Application is to be submitted in Form-A. The application for being registered with FSSAI may be accepted or rejected by the Food and Safety Department. In either case, information by the Food and Safety Department will be given in writing to the FBO within 7 days from the application submission date. The Certificate of Registration (RC), issued by the Food Safety Department will bear the registration number and the applicant’s photograph. This RC will have to be displayed by the FBO in a prominent location, at the place of his/her business.
FSSAI license is to be acquired persons or business entity not within the criteria of petty food business operators. An individual or business unit or an entity should have State FSSAI License or Central FSSAI License depending on the business size and nature of business from the appropriate licensing authority, the State Authority or the Central FSSAI Licensing authority. GCC Filings will help you out with company incorporation in UAE, Apply VAT registration and other procedures across the UAE and other regions.